Name: Diego Corrales
Hometown: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Birthplace: Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Died: 2007-05-07 (Age:29)
Pro Boxer: Record
Amateur Boxer: Record
Managers: Cameron Dunkin, Barrett Silver and James Prince
Trainers: Ray Woods, Kenny Adams, Joe Goossen
Corrales compiled an amateur record of 105-12. Some of his highlights were:
- 1994 United States Amateur Championships Silver medalist at featherweight
- Lost to Frankie Carmona on points in the final
- 1995 Pan-American Games participant at featherweight, in Mar del Plata, Argentina
- Lost to Arnaldo Mesa (Cuba) 3-18
- 1995 World Championships participant at lightweight, in Berlin, Germany to.
- Lost to Marco Rudolph (Germany) 5-10
- Has defeated 7 opponents (5 by KO) in World Title fights.
- 2 opponents (2 by KO) in World Lightweight Title fights.
- 5 opponents (3 by KO) in World Super Featherweight Title fights.
- Has a record of 7-2 (5 KO) in World Title fights.
- Has a record of 5-5 (3 KO) against former or current world titleists.
Two years to the day from his victory over Castillo in Las Vegas, Corrales died on May 7, 2007 of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident in Las Vegas, Nevada. Subsequent autopsy toxicology reports indicated that Corrales was legally drunk with a blood alcohol level of 0.25%
Corrales versus Castillo Factoid
Diego Corrales was supposed to fight Jose Luis Castillo for the third time on June 3, 2006, but the bout never took place when Castillo failed to make weight a second time. Corrales versus Castillo III. press conference []
Castillo had also failed to make weight for the second fight. Perhaps Corrales should never have taken the rematch bout due to Castillo's weight issues. Castillo failed to make weight, and a member of his team was fined and suspended for tampering with the scale.
| IBF Super Featherweight Champion
1999 Oct 23 – 2000 Oct
| WBO Super Featherweight Champion
2004 Mar 6 – 2004
| WBO Lightweight Champion
2004 Aug 7 – 2005
Jose Luis Castillo
| WBC Lightweight Champion
2005 May 7 – 2006 Oct 6
(failed to make weight)