Floyd Patterson vs. Sonny Liston (1st meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sonny Liston 213 lbs beat Floyd Patterson 189 lbs by KO at 2:06 in round 1 of 15
- Date: 1962-09-25
- Location: Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Frank Sikora
- Judge: John Bray
- Judge: Harold Marovitz
- Floyd Patterson 38-2 (29 KOs) vs. Sonny Liston 33-1 (23 KOs)
- Despite being the champion, Patterson entered as an 8-5 betting underdog.
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV at 264 locations in the United States and Canada.
- A crowd of 18,894 at Comiskey Park produced a gross gate of $665,420 and a net of $556,119.95.
- Patterson received 55 percent of ancillary rights and 45 percent of the net gate. Liston received 12½ percent of the net in all revenue phases.
- The contract stated that if Liston won, he would have to give Patterson a rematch within a year.
- About halfway through the first round, Liston hurt Patterson with a right uppercut. Liston followed with a series of punches, ending with a left hook, that dropped Patterson. He made it to his feet but was unable to beat the referee's count of ten. Gilbert Rogin of Sports Illustrated wrote: "Liston is not a notably swift and flashy hitter, but that final left hook crashed into Patterson's cheek like a diesel rig going downhill, no brakes. . . . There are no fighters extant, and precious few mammals of any variety, that could have beaten the count. The miracle is that Patterson was able to get to his knees."