Tony Thompson vs. Odlanier Solis
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Odlanier Solis 257 lbs lost to Tony Thompson 267 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2014-03-22
- Location: Atatürk Spor Salonu, Tekirdag, Turkiye
- Referee: Guido Cavalleri
- Judge: Juergen Langos 116-112
- Judge: Ian John-Lewis 113-115
- Judge: Predrag Aleksic 114-115
- Aired On: Kanalturk (Turkey), BoxNation (UK), Sky Sports (UK) (Main Event), 2+2 (Ukraine)
- WBC International Heavyweight Title (vacant)
- Tony Thompson 38-4 (26 KOs) vs. Odlanier Solis 20-1 (13 KOs)
- Solis entered as the #7 heavyweight contender in the in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Thompson was unranked by the same publication. At the time of this fight, Wladimir Klitschko was recognized as the heavyweight champion. 
- By the date of the fight, Solis was ranked #7 by the IBF and #10 by the WBC, while Thompson was ranked #8 by the IBF and #15 by the WBC.
- At 266.5 lbs., Thompson weighed in at the heaviest of his professional career to date.
- Thompson entered as a 1.8-to-1 betting underdog. 
- After 4th round open scoring: 38:38 draw and twice 39:37 Solis
- After 8th round open scoring: 78:74 Solis and twice 77:75 Thompson.
- CompuBox stats: Thompson landed 169 punches out of 1,092 thrown (113 power shots out of 419), while Solis connected on 135 shots out of 460 (79 power shots out of 235). Thompson broke David Bostice's individual record for punches thrown by a heavyweight.
- With the win, Thompson, 42, now 39-4, makes a bid for a shot at the WBA regular or IBF world heavyweight title belts later in 2014. First bout for Thompson in Turkey, not for Solis.